Friday, June 29, 2012

Notes From Nikki-Summer Squash Spaghetti

Summer Squash "Spaghetti" with Fresh Pesto (Not to be confused with spaghetti squash!)
Hello fellow Inverbrook CSA members! Summer's not kidding this year, is it? Holy heat wave! Below you'll find a perfect summer dish. Little to cook, could even be served totally raw. I parboiled the zucchini strands because my tummy doesn't like raw summer squash, but that's just me. This dish came together in a flash, and was well received by my family. We enjoyed a side of local summer sausage, but the dish is totally satisfying on its own. Enjoy!

Ingredients

4 large zucchini (or other summer squash), cut into spaghetti thin strips (I used a mandolin, but a vegetable peeler would also work... cut the strips into whatever width suits your fancy)

2 scallions, chopped (I briefly sauteed mine in a splash of olive oil because my body also doesn't like raw onions. I know, I'm rather sensitive. ;-))

1 pint grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise

1 garlic scape, chopped, or 1 small clove garlic, smashed

1-2 handfuls shredded parmesan (1/4-1/2 C), plus more for garnishing

1-2 handfuls fresh basil leaves (I tend to go heavy on the basil so used 2 handfuls)

1/4-1/3 C extra virgin, good quality olive oil

Juice of 1/2-1 lemon (I used the juice of 1 whole lemon, but I like things lemony ;-))

Sea salt

Fresh ground pepper

Crushed red pepper

Toasted pine nuts for garnish


1. Bring a large pot of water to boil, and add the summer squash "spaghetti."
2. Boil the squash strands for 2-3 minutes, just enough time to soften them ever so slightly.
3. Allow the squash to drain in a colander while you prepare the pesto.
4. Put the garlic, parmesan, olive oil, basil, sea salt, lemon juice, and fresh ground pepper in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Depending on the amount of olive oil, lemon juice, basil, and cheese you started with, you may need to add more olive oil to thin things out. Taste and adjust before you add more of anything. You can always add more, but you can't take it back out. ;-)(You can also add a handful of the toasted pine nuts to the mix and process along with the rest of the ingredients if you'd like. I like to sprinkle them on top at the end, personally. Your choice, of course.)
5. Toss the pesto with the zucchini, tomatoes, scallions, and a bit of sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Taste and adjust.
6. Serve the "pasta" topped with shredded parmesan, toasted pine nuts, and a dash of crushed red pepper.

Serves 6-8

No comments: