Friday, July 1, 2011

Notes from Nikki-Sauteed Kohlrabi (and Fridays at the Farm)

The syncrinisity that exists in life never ceases to amaze me. This morning I started off the day picking blueberries for the Friday Farmstand (by next year the blueberries should be part of the CSA share, I just have to fence off the plot to keep the deer out). The fact that I now have a "friday at the farm" enterprise and picking blueberries made me think of the wonderful short film Fridays at the Farm by Rich Power Hoffman. The film features Red Hill CSA and its farmers Chris and Amy. In the film there is a little song about blueberries and this song always seems to pop into my head whenever picking blueberries. Anyway, Nikki sent along this great recipe for cooked kohlrabi today; a recipe she got from the very same Chris of Red Hill CSA. Enjoy the recipe and if you have a spare twenty minutes check out the movie.

Fridays at the Farm from Spring Garden Pictures on Vimeo.


Sauteed Kohlrabi with Cracked Black Pepper and Parmigiano Reggiano
Truth be told, until now, I have never liked kohlrabi. It wasn't for not trying. Honestly. I tried it shaved in a salad, diced in a stir-fry, and pureed in a soup. Just didn't do it for me. Needless to say, the kohlrabi from our Inverbrook Farm share has been collecting in the crisper in our fridge, untouched. It wouldn't even go bad so I could just compost it. ;-) I decided I would have to befriend it... eventually. As luck would have it, a good friend and coworker of mine (and former farmer himself), Chris McNichol, told me just the other day that he loves the stuff. Upon hearing this, I demanded he immediately tell me his favorite way to prepare it. I didn't even have to write down the recipe. It's that simple. And so delicious! I know, I can't believe I just referred to kohlrabi as delicious. Who knew?! Thanks, Chris! I hope you all enjoy it too.

Ingredients

6 small kohlrabi bulbs, trimmed, peeled, and diced (roughly chopped works too)
Glug of extra-virgin olive oil
Plenty of fresh cracked black pepper
A bit o' sea salt
Freshly grated or shredded Parmigiano Reggiano
A few basil leaves for garnish (I used lemon basil)

1. Saute the kohlrabi in olive oil until fairly tender and browned on all sides.
2. Season with sea salt and pepper.
3. Turn out onto a plate, top with the cheese, more pepper (if desired), and the basil.
4. Serve and enjoy!

Serves 1-2 as a side dish

No comments: