Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Turkeys, Hens, and Firebirds!


I feel like I have posting about birds a lot lately. I guess chickens and turkeys are not what normally comes to mind with the word bird, however, I have to say that I find just as much enjoyment watching the turkeys and hens forage through the pasture together (see picture), as watching the starlings or the pileated woodpeckers I have mentioned in previous postings.

Speaking of turkeys, I want to give you a heads up that we will be offering turkeys for Christmas holiday--if you are interested in reserving a turkey for your Christmas celebration click here to find out how you can contact the farm directly. I mention the Christmas holiday simply because that is the week they will be processed. You are certainly welcome to freeze your turkey and use it at some later time.

As I have mentioned before, we have a new batch of hens that have just started laying. Normally hens slow down their laying this time of year. Their egg production is very much influenced by daylight. So we are delighted to be able to offer these slightly smaller but just as delicious eggs for $4.00 a dozen (or 2 for $7.00). The eggs are located in the refrigerator in the distribution shed. Take advantage of these great eggs while they last. Click here for a great resource that Mother Earth News has put together about the virtues of pastured eggs.

Finally I wanted to share a link to one of my favorite celebrations of the season, Phoenixville's annual Firebird Festival. Along with the burning of huge wooden Phoenix, just beautiful and exciting to watch, the festival includes a range of activities through out the town, appropriate for folks of all ages. And while you are up in the general area you might want to check out an open house at Yellow Springs Native Plant farm featuring their brand new goat cheese operation. Turkeys, eggs, goat cheese, and winter festivals--what more could one want.

No comments: