Monday, August 8, 2011

This Week's Share-Lots of Tomatoes, More Melons and Purslane

This week's share--like many of the farmers markets and backyard gardens--is full of tomatoes. Its been a fairly good tomato year and I am very thankful for that fact. I have included a link to Food52's best tomato recipe contest from back in 2009. 2009 was the dismal year of the tomato blight, the memory of which makes good tomato seasons all the more special. If you are swimming in tomatoes right now, I thought you would appreciate their (food52) listing of recipes.

This Week's Share Includes:
Potatoes (red and fingerling)
Carrots (purple and orange)
Melons (cantaloupe, honeydew and watermelon)
Eggplant
Summer Squash (patti pan and zephyr)
Cucumbers
Tomatoes (slicing,salad and cherry)
Tomatillos
Purslane
Parsley


In honor of this past weekend's medicinal weed walk, I thought I would add the delicious and nutritious weed Purslane to the share(if you are going to harvest at home notice the warning about spurge, another common weed that looks a little like purslane but is poisonous). Rich in omega-3 fatty acids, purslance is a great addition to salads. Here is Praireland CSAs purslane page. Below is a picture of the salad I made for the medicinal weed walk potluck lunch this weekend. I used a recipe from Gourmet Magazine -parsley and purslane cherry tomato salad but added the DELICIOUS highland farm feta, which I think pairs perfectly with cherry tomatoes. Enjoy your tomatoes, enjoy your weeds.

No comments: