As luck would have it, I will have strawberries available today at the Farmstand (2-7PM) and they should also be part of next week's pre-season CSA pick up. Butterhead lettuce and mint will also be part of next week's share; everything you need for Nikki's delicious recipe.
First-of-the-Season Strawberry Salad with Honey Mint Vinaigrette
I don't know about you, but I get positively giddy when I see those first-of-the-season red gems cropping up at local farm stands and markets. On the way back to Kennett Square from Newtown Square today, I made a pitstop at Pete's Produce to purchase some of the tantalizing, blushing berries. They made a perfect accompaniment to the mild, sweet head lettuce from our Inverbrook share this week. Tossed with a bit of honey/mint vinaigrette, and sprinkled with sliced almonds and chevre, it was a match made in heaven. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
2 small-medium heads of lettuce (something mild and sweet like butter lettuce), washed, torn into bite-sized pieces, and spun dry
Approximately 6-8 strawberries, stems and leaves removed, sliced (plus some whole strawberries with stems and leaves for garnish)
Leaves from two long stems of mint (approximately 12-18 leaves)
6 Tbsp good quality, extra virgin olive oil
2-3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
2-3 Tbsp honey
Dash of sea salt
Pinch of fresh ground black pepper
Honey for drizzling
Fresh ground black pepper to top it off
1. Combine the mint, olive oil, vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper in food processor and process until smooth and emulsified. Taste and adjust to your liking (most important step!).
2. Gently toss the sliced strawberries and lettuce together in a large bowl.
3. Drizzle the dressing over the lettuce and strawberries, and toss again. (I suggest starting with half of the dressing, and add more to your liking.)
4. Divide the salad among plates, add a few pieces of chevre, sprinkle with sliced almonds, drizzle with a bit of honey, and finish with fresh ground black pepper.
5. Garnish with a whole strawberry and enjoy.