Monday, June 7, 2010

Notes from Nikki--Arugula and Garlic Scape Recipes


From CSA Memeber Nikki Graham:

Black Bean Arugula Salad

Another use for arugula. Yay! The inspiration for this yummy salad came, once again, from Heidi Swanson (101cookbooks.com). I changed things up quite a bit. Her original recipe can be found here: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/giant-black-bean-salad-recipe.html
I served this with grilled pork chops, although, on it's own, it certainly could serve as a hearty, summertime meal.
I used canned black beans. Dried, cooked beans would have been better (the giant variety, as Heidi calls for, would have been amazing). I was in a crunch for time, as I often am. Nonetheless, my family loved it, even the three-year-old.
I hope you enjoy it too.

Ingredients

Dressing
Juice of 3 small limes (or to taste)
3-4 TBLs good quality, extra virgin olive oil (or to taste)
2-3 TBL agave (or to taste)
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and de-ribbed (throw in a few seeds if you want more heat)
Sea salt to taste
Fresh ground pepper to taste (optional... I like the flavor, even with the jalapeno, not everyone feels the need)

Salad
3 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
2 handfuls toasted pepitas (I always toast mine in a fry skillet over medium heat, shaking the pan once in while, until they start to pop and brown a bit)
Small bag of Inverbrook arugula (or a generous handful per serving), washed and spun dry, tough stems removed
Grated Manchego cheese (Altogether I used about 1/2 of a cup. Use as much as you desire. Crumbled queso fresco or feta would also work)
1/2 lb. grape or cherry tomatoes, halved

Puree the ingredients for the dressing in a food processor until well combined.
Toss a bit of the dressing with the arugula.
Toss the rest of the dressing with the black beans.
Place a generous handful of arugula on each plate and top with a heaping serving-size spoonful of beans.
Top the beans with some of the cheese, pepitas, and tomatoes.

Enjoy!

Serves 6


Radish Salad with Creamy, Tarragon, Garlic Scape Dressing

As it turns out, no one, except me, likes radishes in my family. As a result, by the end of radish season, I am radished out! Below is a recipe for a radish salad with a creamy, tarragon and garlic scape dressing to help you put your radishes to good use. Beautiful little gems, those radishes. The dressing keeps nicely in the fridge for at least a few days. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Ingredients

Dressing
1 Inverbrook garlic scape
12-15 sprigs of tarragon, leaves only
1/4-1/3 C Highland Farms, plain yogurt (or other plain, whole milk yogurt of your choosing, although I highly recommend Martha's amazing yogurt :-))
Sea salt to taste
Fresh ground pepper to taste

Salad
Sliced radishes
Inverbrook lettuce mix, washed and spun dry, large pieces torn into bite sized pieces
Toasted sunflower seeds

Instructions
Process the garlic scape, tarragon, yogurt, sea salt, and pepper in a food processor until well combined. Set aside.

Assemble each plate with a generous handful of lettuce. Top the lettuce with the radishes and toasted sunflower seeds and drizzle with the dressing.

Serve and enjoy!

No comments: