Friday, March 11, 2011

Signs of Spring--The Sound of Peepers


The second "sign" in my new blog series on the harbingers of spring is more a sound than a site, especially since I have never actually seen one of these creatures. The sign is the "voice" of the Spring Peeper. It has been about a week now since Mr. Happy Cat Tim Mountz called a bunch of us outside to listen to what he affectionately calls nert nerts. With all the recent rain the peepers seem particularly loud this year; or maybe its just my enthusiastic anticipation of a nice warm day out in the garden that makes their vernal call all the more vociferous. Enjoy the audio on the video above, it was taken in the late afternoon today down in our "swamp" that separates the lawn from the stream.
I enter a swamp as a scared place
Hope and the future for me are not in lawns and cultivated fields, not in towns and cities, but in the impervious and quaking swamps.
-Henry David Thoreau

No comments: